What are the GAA Competition APIs?
The GAA Competitions API is a feature of the GAA Management System that allows web developers of club and county websites to access the official fixtures and results of competitions that are created and managed on the GAA Management system.
Types of Requests
There are currently two API’s that will display the GAA competition data:
- Fixtures and Results: Displays the fixtures, results and league tables.
- Competitions: Displays the competition details along with competing teams.
How to access the GAA Competitions APIs
There are two steps to follow to gain access the GAA Competitions APIs:
Step 1: Whitelisting the IP address
In order to gain access to the API, the IP address of the server on which the club, county or provincial website is hosted, needs to be whitelisted to display the competition data. This is to ensure that official GAA information is not misused.
To be granted permission to access the GAA Competition API’s, the F&R API request form, which is located within GAA management system, must be completed in order to whitelist the IP of the club, county or provincial website.
- Club administrators can complete this form on behalf of the web developer.
- Only one IP address is to be whitelisted per website. If you require multiple IP addresses to be whitelisted for the club, county or provincial website, you will need to seek approval directly from the GAA.
- If you are a developer that hosts multiple websites on the same IP, you should consult the support team directly to ensure there are no conflicts.
Please follow the steps below to complete the F&R API request form:
- Log into the GAA management system using your username and password.
- Navigate to the ‘F&R API request’ section which is located on the left hand side of the screen.
- Complete the form with the relevant details including:
- The API you require (XML or JSON)
- If you require the XML API, please select the first two checkboxes: ‘Fixtures and Results’ and ‘Competitions’. Please see the screenshot below:
- If you require the JSON API, please select the last three checkboxes: ‘Fixtures and Results JSON’, ‘Fixtures and Results JSONP’ and ‘Competition JSONP’. Please see the screenshot below:
- The website’s URL of the club, county or province IP address - This must be a static IP address. (This can be changed anytime after completing the form)
- Contact details of the administrator of the given club/County; Contact name Contact email Contact phone number.
- Contact details of the web developer who is working on the club, county or provincial website; Web Developer name Web Developer email Web Developer phone number.
4. Click ‘Submit’
When the form has been submitted, the IP address entered within the IP address field will be automatically added to the secure whitelist. The parameters displayed at the top of the form will be associated with the IP address that has been added to the whitelist.
In the example below, the parameters ‘clubID=1174’ and ‘countyBoardID=12’ will be associated with the IP address and will return a successful 200 OK result when making calls to the API.
If the IP address attempts to make a call with incorrect parameters (example countyBoardID=8) then a 403 access denied error would be returned as the IP has not been allocated access to that parameter.
A full list of available parameters can be seen in the section:
The IP address entered must be the address of the server where the club/country/province website is hosted. If you enter any other IP address then the API calls from the server will not work. If you are unsure of the server IP address, you can use the link within the form to potentially find the IP or alternatively follow the steps below:
- Navigate to http://network-tools.com/
- Click ‘Ping’ Enter the website URL and click ‘Go’
- The IP address of the club, county or province should be shown on the right hand side.
It is the responsibility of the administrator to enter the correct IP address in the F&R API Request form.
Step 2: Requesting Parameters
To return the data that is relevant to the club, county or provincial website, please ensure the parameters associated with your IP address are included within your calls to the required API.
The clubID and countyBoardID are only two examples. These ID’s will be different for every club, county and/or province. The only parameters that will appear in this section are:
There are several parameters that can be included within calls to the API and can be seen via the following link:
- If you are a club within county ‘Antrim’ then you will have the following parameters:
- If you are a county i.e Donegal then you will have the following parameters:
Please see the link below which provides a full list of owner and countyBoardID’s: