In order to accept online payments from club members, pay LGFA or Camogie registration fees or pay your club's Player Injury Fund invoice, a Stripe account will need to be set up.
Stripe is the online payment processing platform, chosen for use within the Foireann system, which allows your club to receive electronic payments and distribute them to your clubs’ bank account. Stripe also allows clubs to pay for their Player Injury Fund invoice online.
Transferring funds from the Stripe online account to a Club’s ‘traditional’ bank account is referred to as a ‘pay-out. All GAA, LGFA and Camogie Stripe accounts are set to a Manual payout schedule meaning that the balance remains in Stripe until a club administrator requests a payout.
Any club (GAA, LGFA, Camogie, OneClub) can request a payout from Stripe at any time using the Request Payout feature within Foireann.
For more information on how to withdraw funds from your club's Stripe account, please see HERE
What are the costs?
There is no subscription or annual cost for using the Foireann system however online payments do incur a charge from the payment provider (Stripe), this is the case for any online payment using a Credit or Debit Card.
This charge is calculated as a percentage of the overall payment.
Each transaction made with a standard Irish or UK Credit or Debit Card* incurs an online payment charge of 1.35%.
Statement descriptors are what the payer (Club Member) will see on their card or a bank statement when a charge is made against their credit/debit card. This will happen when a member completes payment via the Foireann system to the club for their membership fees.
The statement descriptor will appear on the payers (Club Member) card or bank statement as the club's name.
- For some bank accounts, the club’s name may not appear as the statement descriptor until a day after the payment has been made. In the meantime, ‘Stripe’ will be displayed within the statement descriptor.
STRIPE ACCOUNT CREATION
Before creating your Stripe account, you will need to ensure that you have the following information available:
- Bank Account Details (IBAN Number, Sort Code, Account Number)
- Information about the Club Treasurer
- Information about the Club Secretary
- Information about the Club Chairperson
It is highly recommended that the Club Treasurer completes the following steps to set up the club’s Stripe Account.
While Stripe is the chosen online payment provider for Foireann it is a separate system and, as such, does not currently use terminology and language directly related to Foireann and/or the GAA in general. The following table lists some of the less familiar terminologies that you will see in Stripe, and the associated interpretation in relation to Foireann and/or the GAA.
|Stripe Terminology||Club Terminology|
|Business / Company||Club|
|Business Representative/Executive||Club Treasurer|
|Business Directors||Club Chairperson & Club Secretary|
There will also be occasions throughout the setup when you will be directed to skip steps as they will not be relevant to Clubs.
Please note that your Online Payment section will have 3 statuses:
- Create Account - Your club has not created an online payments account (Stripe Account).
- Complete Set-Up - Your club has started the process of creating an online payment account (Stripe Account) however there is still information required.
- View Account - Your club has completed its online payment account (Stripe Account).
Navigate to the Administration section of the system.
Click on the ‘Create Account’ button underneath the Online Payments section.
A pop-up modal will appear to inform you that you are being redirected to Stripe to create your club account.
Within this pop-up, there is a link that will take you to the support helpdesk whereby there are instructions on how to create your Stripe account. It is very important that you read this carefully before starting the process.
Click the ‘Confirm’ button.
You will now be redirected to the Stripe onboarding page.
Within this section, please enter your mobile number and your email address and click ‘Next’
A verification code will be sent to the phone number which you entered on the previous screen.
- Once you enter the verification code, you will be automatically brought to the next step of the creation process ‘Business Details’.
- Please enter the club address and a phone number that is linked to the club.
- Click ‘Next’
While it is possible to complete the Stripe account setup without providing some of the following information, Clubs are asked to consider how best they can complete the setup in line with the rules of the Association and the Club Constitution that deal with “Books and Accounts”.
- Rule 11.1 of the GAA Club Constitution states the following:
- “The Executive Committee shall open a Bank Account or Accounts with an approved Bank on behalf of the Club, and all cheques drawn on the said account shall be signed by the Treasurer and countersigned by one of either the Chairperson or Secretary.”
- Rule 35 of the LGFA Club Constitution states the following:
- “Club, School and College Committees, Divisional Boards, County Boards, Provincial and Central Councils shall open their own bank accounts. Cheques and other transactions on these accounts shall be signed by the Treasurer or Joint Treasurer and either by the Assistant Treasurer, Chairperson or Secretary.”
- Rule 22.4 of the Camogie Club Constitution states the following:
- “The funds of any Unit of the Association must be lodged in a bank or other financial institution approved by the Unit. All payments issued on behalf of the Unit must be authorised by at least two members of the core Executive Committee of the Unit concerned. All payments are required to have at least two signatories from the core Executive Committee of the Unit concerned one of which must be the treasurer.”
With this in mind, we recommend that the remaining steps are completed in accordance with the guidance below.
- You will be asked to enter the details of your ‘Business Representative’ in club terms, this is referring to a member of your executive committee. Please ensure that the information entered is accurate and matches the details listed on an identification document i.e Passport, Driver’s License.
- We highly recommend that this is your Club Treasurer
- For the two questions at the end of the form
- ‘I own 25% or more of the company’ this can be left unticked as this does not apply to clubs.
- ‘I am a member of the governing board of the company’, this can be ticked or unticked
- Click ‘Next’
The next step refers to ‘Business Owners’, click the ‘Continue with no owners’ button to skip this step as it is not relevant to clubs.
You will now be asked to enter the details of your ‘Business Directors’, these are individuals who are members of the governing body of your club.
- We would recommend that you add either the Club Secretary or Chairperson as Business directors.
Click the ‘Add a director’ option, and select ‘Add someone new’ from the dropdown.
Enter the name and email address of the secretary or chairperson.
NOTE: The name listed must match their government-issued ID (Driver’s License, Passport etc)
The next step is to review your ‘Business Executives’. Click the ‘Done, Continue’ button.
Enter your club bank details. The details entered here will determine where your membership payments are transferred to.
- You will either be asked to enter the IBAN number of your bank account or the sort-code and account number. This is dependent on the currency in which your club operates.
Upon hitting ‘Save’, you will be presented with a verification summary of your Business Details (Club Details), Management and Ownership details (Club Secretary, Treasurer and Chairperson) and Payout Details (Bank account details).
- At this stage, the information which you have provided will be sent to Stripe to be verified.
- Stripe may ask for additional information to help verify your account however more information on this will be outlined further down in the document.
Within the Business Details section, click on the ‘Pencil’ icon and ensure that the information listed in this section is correct for your club. For the ‘Industry’ field, please select the option ‘Other membership organisations’ from the dropdown list and click ‘Save’
The Business Details and the Management and Ownership sections may now display ‘Information required soon’. For security purposes, you will be asked to provide detailed information to confirm your club and identity.
- This means that in order for your Stripe account to be completely verified, you will need to present some documentation. It is advised that you provide this information as soon as possible to ensure payments and payouts are enabled for your account.
Click the ‘Update’ button within the Business Details to provide more details about your club.
Click the ‘Verify Now’ button and choose a document to upload.
If you do not have any of the documents listed, please choose ‘Other’ and upload/take a photo of a document that shows the club name and club address.
Click ‘Submit Document’. The document will be sent to Stripe where they will verify that the details listed for the club match the details listed in the document provided. This can take up to 24 hours.
- NOTE: If the document has been rejected, please contact Stripe Support via https://support.stripe.com/.
Click the ‘Update’ button within the Management and Ownership section to provide an identification document for your account holder(s). Please have the person listed verify their identity with a government-issued ID.
Click how you wish to verify your ID, you will be presented with three options:
- Take a picture with your phone
- Take a picture with your webcam
- Upload a file
Click the ‘Next' button and select which government-issued photo ID you would like to use. You will be presented with three options:
- Driver's License
- Identity Card
Click the ‘Next' button. You can decide how you wish to receive a link to complete the verification process. You will be presented with four options and the relevant instructions will be listed on-screen to help you complete the step:
The identity document will be sent to Stripe where they will verify that your details match. This can take up to 24 hours.
NOTE: If the document has been rejected, please contact Stripe Support via https://support.stripe.com/.